Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sleeping!

Today is night 3 of making Ty sleep in his own bed the entire night. The first night he fussed a lot and kept trying to leave. The second night he didn't fuss, but still tried to leave on occasion. Tonight he didn't fuss and didn't try to leave. I decided to try something different tonight and I left his room before he was fully asleep. I saw him get up out of bed and head towards the door, but he didn't fuss and he didn't turn his light on! Lee went in to check on him later and he was fast asleep in bed. It seems like we'll finally be able to start sleeping well again. While it's fun to cuddle with Ty I'm not going to miss the random kicks and headbutts during the night.

I've never been big on scheduling, but reading parenting advice lately has made me change my mind. I'm not too strict on the schedule, but I basically stick to the same routine. We start with a bath, then I let him pick which pjs he wants to wear. After that is brushing teeth, followed by a story. After the story is usually when he tries to run off so he won't be put in bed. I put him in bed and lock the door. We say a pray together and then I sit in a chair and try to act like I'm not there. I don't give him attention unless he gets out of bed, in which case I simply get up and put him back in bed without saying anything. After the first night he stayed in bed unless he was giving me his cup for more drink.

I've struggled with getting Ty on a regular sleeping schedule his whole life and it finally seems like I've found something that works. Hopefully I can remember to keep it up and eventually not have to be in the room at all.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! This makes me so happy for your sanity's sake, and for all of you to be able get the rest you've been needing at the right time! Now to train Lee! Good luck on that one!

    ReplyDelete